Breasts are one of the most important aspects of the female physique. If you are unhappy with the size or appearance of your breasts for whatever reason, breast augmentation surgery can help achieve a look that you are comfortable with. There are many reasons for getting breast implants and because the surgery is so customizable, it continues to be one of the most popular plastic surgeries.
How is breast augmentation done?
Breast augmentation can be performed using three methods – Silicone Implants, Saline Filled Implants and Fat Grafting.
Silicone implants can be inserted behind the breasts (called as sub-fascial or sub-glandular) or behind the pectoral muscle (called as sub-muscular or retro-muscular).
There is also a new innovation, where the implants are inserted in “dual plane”, that means implant is located half under the muscle and half under the breast glands. This procedure is performed only in selected patients, post examination by a skilled plastic surgeon.
Saline filled implants
Saline filled implants are made of silicone bags that are filled using normal saline solution and the implants expand like a balloon. This procedure is reserved for reconstructive breast enlargement.
This is the most recent method of breast enlargement. In this procedure fat is harvested from abdomen, flanks or thighs by using technique of liposuction. The fat is prepared and injected in different layers of the breast to enhance the breasts.
Who is a good candidate?
Breast augmentation is a plastic surgery procedure designed to enhance the size and shape of a woman’s breasts using breast implants. Women often seek out breast augmentation for a number of different reasons including:
- Improvement in the appearance of small, disproportionate breasts.
- Restoration of volume to the breasts after weight loss or pregnancy.
- Breast asymmetry correction.
- Improvement in the appearance of aging breasts.
During your consultation you will be evaluated and several measurements taken and based on your goals, you will be counseled regarding either implants or fat transfer.
If you are a candidate for implants, you will also have to decide on factors such as:
- Texture: smooth or textured
- Shape: round, tapered or the newer tear drop shape
- Profile: low, medium or high projection
- Diameter: the width of the breast implant
Each of these factors will be customized for you to achieve the best result
The procedure explained
- The procedure is done under general anesthesia with same day discharge
- The method of inserting and positioning your implant will depend on your anatomy.
- The incision can be made either in the underlying crease where the breast meets the chest or around the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). Every effort will be made to assure that the incision is placed so resulting scars will be as inconspicuous as possible.
- Working through the incision, we lift your breast tissue and skin to create a pocket, either directly behind the breast tissue (sub-mammary or sub-glandular placement) or beneath the pectoral muscle and on top of the chest wall (sub-pectoral placement).
- Once the implant is positioned within this pocket, the incisions are closed with sutures and covered with surgical tape. A mildly compressive gauze bandage will be applied over your breasts to help with healing.
- The procedure is done under local anesthesia with same day discharge
- During the outpatient procedure, we remove fat from one area of your body and meticulously injects it back into the breast. These micro-fat transfers (autologous grafts) are harvested by gentle liposuction from the thighs, buttocks and stomach–wherever there is fat to spare. Even skinny patients do well with this procedure. The fat then grows within a matrix of tissue and the breasts are enlarged rather naturally while the patient receives the benefit of liposuction.
- By using your own fat, your breasts can be made one to two cup sizes larger without an implant.
- New moms also like this procedure, since it is perfect to restore volume that normally deflates after childbirth as well as getting rid of stubborn pockets of fat via liposuction of the body after having baby. This technique is available to appropriate candidates after physical examination by the doctor.
Post procedure recovery
- The surgery usually takes approximately 1-2 hours to complete. You’re likely to feel tired and sore for a few days following your surgery, but you’ll be up and around in 24 to 48 hours.
- There are restrictions on heavy lifting and exercise for the first two weeks, and certain exercises should be limited for about six weeks.
- Within a few days, the gauze dressings will be removed and you will be placed into a surgical bra. You should wear it as directed.
- The swelling in your breasts may take a few weeks to dissipate and, during this time, your breasts will become more natural in appearance and feel.
Know Your Surgeon
Dr. Aniketh has trained in breast augmentation with implants under Dr. Bill Adams, one of the world leaders in this procedure, and the creator of the high five system of breast augmentation. He is also working on a study with Dr. Adams on using antibiotic irrigation with implants.
Dr. Aniketh also trained with Dr. Roger Khouri, the world leader in breast augmentation by fat grafting.
To learn more, please give us a call or send an email to [email protected].