One of the most common signs of facial ageing is the sagging of the skin. This is caused due to the effect of gravity on the skin over a period of time as well as the loss of elasticity in skin. This is visible as wrinkling, jowling, hanging skin over the middle and lower face.
When performed properly, a neck lift or facelift can have a profound anti-aging effect that makes you look like a younger version of yourself. Dr. Aniketh uses a comprehensive approach to facial surgery that addresses not only the skin, but also the underlying muscles, fat, and fascia in order to create more natural-looking, longer lasting changes. We perform a variant of the facelift called the MACS (Minimal Access Cranial Suspension)
The MACS lift was a revolutionary new procedure. This technique added a number of advantages of a full SMAS facelift to the traditional Minilift.
Who is a good candidate?
- Middle aged
- Good physical condition
- Ideally non smoker, else stopped smoking 4 weeks prior to surgery
About the procedure
The advantages of the MACS lift are:
- Short procedure: 1.5 – 2 hours
- Local anesthetic with intravenous sedation
- Corrects muscle and connective tissue using vertical lifting
- Natural-looking effect
- Long-lasting results
- Fast recovery: 7 to 14 days
- Small scar: in the fold in front of the ear
- Safe, with very few complications
The secret of the MACS Lift
This method achieves a long-lasting lift. This is also the secret of the invisible scars: all the tension is subcutaneous: there is barely any traction on the skin itself. Your sagging neck, lower chin and cheeks are corrected subcutaneously and only a very small amount of skin is removed.
The tension on the skin and the subcutaneous tissues is applied in a vertical and not a horizontal direction. This prevents the face from looking as though it has been ‘pulled taut’ and the rejuvenating corrective procedure produces a completely natural look.
- The incision is made in the crease in front of the ear. The incision follows the natural crease in the skin so that after a few months the scar is barely noticeable.
- Through this incision, Dr. Aniketh detaches the skin from the cheeks up to the corner of the jaw near the neck.
- The underlying muscles are tightened and lifted vertically. They are anchored to the immobile temple region with two strong sutures
- Excess fat under the chin can be sucked away if necessary via a small hole the size of a pin-prick.
- When all the subcutaneous skin structures have been corrected the skin is tightened so that it looks natural.
- Excess skin is removed and the small incision in front of the ear is stitched up. This skin is removed in a vertical direction which is what gives the natural appearance associated with a MACS lift.
A comprehensive approach to facelift
The MACS facelift is often combined with another rejuvenating treatment: eyelid correction, lipo-sculpture of the lower chin, filling the wrinkles around the corners of the mouth. Botox or an eyebrow lift can help to correct wrinkles on the forehead. A dental treatment or lipo-filling could be an option to compensate for the loss of bone in the lower jaw.
Post procedure recovery
- You would be admitted for one night and sent home the next day.
- You would need rest for 5 days to a week.
- Sutures are removed at one week.
- Some bruising is to be expected after the surgery which would take two weeks to resolve.
- Most patients feel ready to be seen in the third week after surgery.
- The incisions would progressively heal and fade over the course of the next few months.
Dr. Aniketh has been trained in the MACS lift (Minimal Access Cranial Suspension) by the creators of this technique, Dr. Verpale and Dr. Tonnard in Ghent, Belgium.